Why you need a roommate agreement
When you're living with anyone it's important to have an agreement in place so it's clear what's expected of the arrangement. Even if you live with a friend it's worth having something in writing so everything's clear and there are no unexpected surprises further down the line.
An agreement should include at least these basic elements:
- How much the rent is and when it's due
- How long your tenancy will last
- What happens if you want to leave
- What deposit you'll need to pay up front and what it's for
New York and Roommate Agreements
It's especially important to have something in writing in New York as the rented accommodation market is so vast and there are several different situations you could find yourself living in. These include:
- Renting an aprtment with both your names on the lease
- Your name on the lease and renting your spare room to a roommate
- Sharing with someone else whose name is on the lease
- Sharing with someone who's subletting
- Owning your apartment ad renting the spare room out
With so many different scenarios it's vital to make sure everyone involved knows exactly what the arrangement is (don't just assume you know what someone else expects).
We'll add more info on roommate agreements as the site goes live so check back for more information.